Tuesday 3 June 2014

Day 10

We started the day by visiting the Saigon Newport Corporation. It is a huge port that does nearly 50% of all the imports/exports nationwide. They had big cranes moving huge, cargo crates into neat stacks.With a three star general directing all the traffic in and out of the port. I thought it was a very intriguing sight to see the thousands of containers and thinking they know what is in each container, when they came into the port, when they need to leave, and what they are leaving on. A real feat of organization.

Just some of the crates they were handling
 After the port, we went back to the hotel for a short break before heading to the War Remnants museum. We had a short lesson on the development of the name of museum over the years.  Originally, the name of the museum was called "The Museum of American War Crimes." Some of the exhibits were a bit disturbing. There were pictures of massacres and bodies on the ground. The most moving pictures, or at least to me, were the picture of the after effects of Agent Orange. After walking around the museum for a while and taking it all in, it was time to walk back to the hotel. It was not long after getting back that I headed to a coffee shop with a few other students. I had a cup of Vietnamese coffee. It was served brewing over a small cup, and it could not have been more than a shot of coffee. I remember thinking I could drink three or four of these, but after I finished it, I felt like I could stay up for days. I was wired; I think it was the strongest cup of coffee I have ever had. The coffee shop was a lot of fun. I had my coffee and we all talked and played Jenga. After the coffee shop, we headed out to eat with a woman that coached Seth's mom in basketball. She was a very friendly lady. She took us to a restaurant where you could walk around and point out the foods that you wanted to eat and they would bring them to the table. I had some tasty spring rolls. After dinner, some of us went to a bowling alley. I swear I used to be good at bowling, but I was just not on my game tonight. I think I rolled more gutter balls than anything, but I still had plenty of fun. We only played one game before going to a venue with live music. Everyone listened to some music and had a good time. It was another full day in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment