Monday 2 June 2014

Day 6

Today, I am 19. It is my birthday. I am in a happier disposition this morning, but I feel the same. Today, we are going to the Cu Chi tunnels. The tunnels were far away, and the long bus ride was a good time for a nap. I woke up as we pulled into the site; we all put on our sun screen and bug spray preparing for the trek into the trees. Well, it wasn't much of a trek; it was a short walk down a path to a pavilion where we watched a video on the history of the Cu Chi tunnels. The video was made in 1967 or 1969, but I cannot quite remember which. Either way, it was made in the middle of the war, and it was evident. It was about how everyone came together to fight the "American Devil," which kind of hurt my feelings , but then again, I guess I cannot blame them. After the video, we began venturing through the tunnels. Our guide told us that the tunnels were made large for tourists, which is pretty insane considering how small they still were. We got the importunity to go in an originally sized door. It was smaller than an air vent in a house and a tight squeeze for everyone who went down. There was not a lot of room in the tunnels; all you could really do is waddle through. The thought of living in these tunnels was baffling to me. The claustrophobia inducing size of the tunnels was not that bad; it was more of the little things down there with you that got to me. All kinds of spiders and bats that would fly or scurry past you as you walked through were a little frightening. After crawling through the tunnels, we went to eat on a boat. I really liked watching the water flow as we ate.
Here is a nice little picture of the view from the boat
After lunch, it was time for the long ride home. I think I slept the whole way back too. I got back and  wrote my journal until dinner. I went out to dinner and ordered rice and a delicious sampling of toppings. 

This is a picture of dinner
After dinner, I returned to the hotel and got cleaned up, which was far over due. Then, I went out to celebrate my birthday at a little place ran by our friends at Glass Egg. I never thought I would spend my birthday crawling around underground but I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment